Paella is best known for its Spanish and seafood roots. The “Paella” translates to the special pan that is used to make the dish. For our 30 Minute Paella recipe, you can use any “Paella” that you have at home. The rice is what makes the dish hearty and holds the seafood together. Many enjoy using bomba rice which is a short grain rice similar to Arborio. I love how bomba toasts and crisps up in this dish. Introducing Scout's Canned Seafood Line to this Paella is a convenient way to make paella anytime with what you have on hand. In the recipe, I suggest you add the canned lobster, mussels, and our trout towards the end of the cooking time to stay warm and ensure tenderness. Pair with a full bodied red wine, such as a Baco Noir or a Cabernet Franc.
Cook time: 15 minute prep + 30 minute cook time
1 Tin of Scout Lobster
1 Tin of Scout Trout
1 Tin of Scout Mussels
2 cups Arborio Rice
4 cups Fish or Chicken Stock
1 cup Tomato Passata
1 Spanish Onion
50 grams Smoked Paprika
20 grams Saffron
1/2 cup Red Wine
1 Fennel Bulb
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F.
2. Toast rice on a cookie sheet in oven until lightly toasted or the colour of caramel.
3. On another cookie sheet, slice tomato and fennel in larger pieces and roast the same time as you toast the rice
4. In a small container place the wine, and the saffron to let the saffron bloom
5. In a medium sized pot bring chicken stock and tomato passata to a simmer and taste for seasoning
6. In your "Paella Pan" sweat diced onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent: approximately 5-7 minutes
7. Deglaze with the red wine with the saffron and add the smoked paprika
8. Stir the toasted rice into this mixture and cover with the stock and tomato liquid
9. Place the pieces of tomato and fennel into the rice and place in oven for 25 minutes or until the edges start to become crispy
10. Open Scout Seacuterie line and garnish with the lobster, trout and mussels and return to the oven for 5 minutes to heat through.
11. Remove from oven and drizzle with the lobster oil and butter and serve with crusty bread and a light salad.